Having healthy, luscious hair is a dream for many. While it seems like a given, gorgeous hair can be notoriously difficult to have. Many people suffer from thinning hair. To treat it and ensure proper care, it is important to know about the causes and solutions in detail.
How to identify thinning hair?
Often, we tend to worry when we see even a single strand of hair on our combs. It is important to understand that some hair loss is perfectly normal. It is natural to lose around 50-100 strands of hair daily. This generally happens when old hair is replaced by new growing follicles. However, if your hair falls out in abnormally large amounts for a prolonged period, it can be considered a cause of worry.
Hair thinning or hair loss is also known as alopecia. This phenomenon can be temporary and get resolved on its own. However, if it continues or worsens over time, it may be time to get professional help to treat your hair thinning problem. In general, there can be the following types of hair thinning:
- Pattern hair loss: Also termed androgenic alopecia, this can cause a receding hairline and gradually thinning hair over time. It is known to occur in both females and males.
- Involutional alopecia: This is the general hair thinning noticed with old age.
- Alopecia areata: This condition leads hair to fall out in patches. Anyone can be affected by it, irrespective of age. In general, hair is expected to grow back in the affected areas.
- Telogen effluvium: This causes hair thinning due to fluctuations in the hair growth cycle.
What are the potential causes for thinning hair?
If thinning hair is bothering you, it is crucial to know what may be causing it. A variety of factors lead to hair loss.
- Hereditary influence: Genetics has a lot to do with hair loss. Androgenic alopecia is generally passed down the generations. So, your genes may well be responsible for your thinning hair.
- Stress and anxiety: It has been observed that stressful situations and anxiety can cause hair fall. However, this is generally likely to be temporary.
- Hair treatments: Excessive exposure to heat or chemical treatments like straightening, dyeing, or tying your hair extremely tightly for styling can lead to hair thinning.
- Medical conditions: Hormonal changes or underlying medical conditions like Vitamin D deficiency and thyroid can contribute to hair thinning.
- Lifestyle issues: Poor nutrition, irregular sleep cycles, and smoking are often the biggest triggers for hair loss.
What are the 5 best solutions to combat thinning hair?
If you are suffering from hair thinning, you have no reason to worry. There are multiple life-altering solutions available out there that can help you overcome this obstacle.
- Medical Procedures: Today, there are a variety of medical procedures available to alleviate your hair thinning problems. Micro-pigmentation can help cover up any bald patches on your scalp. Micro-needling has been hailed as one of the most effective methods to stimulate hair growth. These options need medical expertise and should be undertaken only by experienced professionals.
- Medication: The safest and most reliable method to combat hair thinning is to opt for medicines. You must remember that hair fall reduction medications require patience. Medications like minoxidil and finasteride can be administered to decrease hair loss and promote new hair growth. Alternatively, if there is any underlying health condition like psoriasis causing hair thinning, targeted medicines to treat it can be used. This should always be done as per the doctor’s instructions.
- Lifestyle Modification: We all know that the smallest of lifestyle changes can impact our bodies greatly. So, you must opt for a healthier lifestyle to regain those glossy tresses. Aim for an active lifestyle, along with a healthy diet. You should also opt for hair care products with fewer harmful chemicals like sulfates and parabens. Further, being gentle with your hair while drying or combing, using satin pillow covers, and going for scalp massages can reduce the breakage of hair.
- Hair transplant: In extreme conditions, a hair transplant can be the best option. This treatment can help achieve luscious locks of hair for years to come. It involves taking active hair follicles from other parts of your body like your arm or leg and transplanting the same on your scalp. It gives safe and effective results in the long run.
- Artificial choices: If you are not very comfortable with getting medical treatments for your thinning hair, you can go for an easier route of choosing wigs and artificial hair replacements. Artificial hair extensions and root touch-up powders are a great solution to cover up bald patches. You can customize wigs for yourself, as per the length and color you want. This gives you more autonomy over your hairstyle. It is also a relatively cheaper option, as compared to medical procedures.
Since hair is often associated with societal standards of beauty, thinning hair can cause a lot of distress and reduced confidence. To combat this issue, you must consult an experienced hair care expert at IHL to get the right solution. IHL provides the best services to stop hair thinning. Be it in-depth consultation to understand the reason behind your hair thinning or the right treatment to get back your lustrous hair, IHL is here to help you.